Maythal Eshaghian, LMFT
Maythal Eshaghian is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT). Ms. Eshaghian received her Master’s degree in Clinical Psychology at Pepperdine University and her Bachelor’s degree in Psychology at UCLA. In her practice, she specializes in the treatment of Anxiety, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), and other Obsessive-Compulsive (OC) related disorders in children, adolescents, and adults. Ms. Eshaghian has extensive training working with children, adolescents, and adults who struggle with different types of anxiety disorders including OCD, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Panic Disorder, Social Anxiety, Health Anxiety, and Body-Focused Repetitive Behaviors including Trichotillomania & Skin Picking Disorder. It can be very distressing and debilitating to struggle with an anxiety disorder as well as face anxiety on a daily basis, however, the right type of treatment can help you manage your symptoms.
Ms. Eshaghian brings warmth, compassion, and authenticity to her practice. Ms. Eshaghian believes that the therapeutic alliance you have with your therapist is one of the strongest predictors of successful treatment. In addition, she believes the most important ingredients of the therapeutic relationship are building on empathy, trust, self-compassion and a non-judgmental stance. It takes a lot of courage and bravery to start therapy, and she believes that individuals who take the first step of beginning therapy have the willingness and capacity for change by learning the skills to manage their anxiety and live a more meaningful life.
- Master’s Degree in Clinical Psychology: Pepperdine University
- Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology: University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
- Research Assistant: Human Perception Laboratory; Phil Kellman, Ph.D., UCLA (2010-2011)
- Research Assistant: Semel Lab for Neuroscience and Human Behavior; Carrie Bearden, Ph.D., UCLA (2013-2015)
- Research Assistant: Pepperdine Applied Research Center (PARC); Susan Hall, Ph.D, Graduate School of Education & Psychology (2014-2015)
In 2013, Ms. Eshaghian had the opportunity to work for Dr. Carrie Bearden’s research lab at the UCLA Semel Lab for Neuroscience and Human Behavior. During her time as a research assistant, Ms. Eshaghian was trained in administering neurological assessment batteries (Cognitive and Neuropsychological Testing) to subjects who were diagnosed with Neurofibromatosis Type 1 (NF1) from ages 6-17 in order to examine the structure and function of the brain in individuals with NF1. In addition, she administered C-DISCs (Diagnostic Interview Schedule for Children) in order to help the research lab assess for different positive & negative diagnoses and clinically significant symptoms.
Post Graduate Training
- Anxiety Therapy LA, Private Practice Psychotherapist, 2019-2020
- Notre Dame Academy, Elementary School and High School, 2016-2018
- Clare Foundation, 2014-2015
- Green Dot Public Schools; Animo Ralph Bunche High School, 2013-2014
- Association for Behavior and Cognitive Therapies (ABCT)
- California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (CAMFT)
- International OCD Foundation (IOCDF)
- The TLC Foundation for Body-Focused Repetitive Behaviors
Advanced Professional Trainings/
- Supportive Parenting for Anxious Childhood Emotions (SPACE) developed by Dr. Eli Lebowitz at the Yale Child Study Center
- Virtual Professional Training Institute for the Treatment of Body-Focused Repetitive Behaviors at The Trichotillomania Learning Center (TLC) Foundation
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Body Dysmorphic Disorder by Psychiatry Academy, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Hoarding Disorder by Psychiatry Academy, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Evidence-Based Psychological Treatments for Eating Disorders: Children, Adolescents, and Adults by Psychiatry Academy, Massachusetts General Hospital